I’m no lawyer, and I sure don’t play one on TV, but what I’ve observed from trials is that they usually call witnesses to the stand either testify against or for the defendant. Today I’m sharing my personal experience and testifying on behalf of the law of chastity. A law from God that is constantly on trial and is constantly attacked by the world.
Before I go on, I think it’s important to talk about a few things that the law of chastity entails. The law of chastity as revealed by the Lord (through his scriptures and his prophets) deals with some of these:
- No sexual relations before marriage (this would include any other types of sexual immorality, oral sex, fondling etc. etc.)
- Staying completely faithful and true once married
- Striving to keep your thoughts pure
- Not acting upon homosexual urges
- Abstaining and not partaking in pornography of any kind nor masturbation
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints often comes under attack because it teaches the law of Chastity. This however, even according to scripture, is a sign that the law of Chastity comes from God, for Jesus said,
“If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.” John 15:18-19
Indeed worldly opposition to any of God’s laws is a testament of their validity.
In contrast, the world and our culture teaches that the law of chastity is ridiculous, out of date, and that doing any of these things listed above is perfectly normal and healthy.
However, I have learned through personal experience that the world’s philosophy is a well packaged lie that leads to the overall unhappiness of God’s children and contributes to deep spiritual suffering that is often masked by unhealthy relationships, addictions, and overall low self worth.
When I was a teenager and was less active (that’s a term used to describe those who who are in the church…but don’t really live and/or believe in the teachings of the church) I didn’t follow the law of chastity.
I won’t go into details about which aspects I struggled with. I have repented of those and it’s not really important that I discuss them. But I will say that I was secretly miserable and had extremely low self confidence.
This may come as a bit of a surprise to those that knew me at that time for I acted very confident, I acted happy, and I goofed around just like any other teenager, but beyond the facade I was really quite sad.
I still remember the moments, late at night or in the mornings when I was all by myself and I just felt…empty.
When you finally stripped away my friends, my video games, my music, I was just a shell of a human being. A shell who had zero self worth.
Contrast that to the mighty change I saw in myself when I finally repented and overcame my law of chastity issues. I can’t go into all of the detail of how that happened (it’s just a really long story..) but I do want to summarize some points of the journey:
- I humbled myself and exercised enough faith to find out if God really existed through diligently saying my prayers every day and spending time reading the scriptures.
- I replaced my friends who were bad influences on me with those who were good
- I talked to my bishop, who I will forever be grateful for. He helped me overcome some of the big issues I was struggling with. He also was in tune with the spirit and gave me the exact counsel I needed, as if it came from God himself. (p.s. thank you bishops everywhere)
- I had ups and downs, encountered relapses and went through a great battle to become clean again. But relying upon the atonement of Jesus Christ was ultimately what saved me. The Savior cleansed me. It was one of the most palpable experiences I’ve ever had. We have to remember that a big part of Christ’s mission is to release us from the bondage of sin.
Overall, I just want to say this-
I have a personal testimony of living the law of chastity. I have a testimony that it is God’s law given to man for their benefit and anyone who lives it will find themselves filled with the spirit, with confidence and will help you draw closer to God.
And I also want to say this-
If you are struggling with the law of chastity, the way is always prepared in which you can overcome. Repent often, fill your life with light, talk to your priesthood leaders and strive to rely upon the atonement of Christ through prayer, fasting and scripture study. I promise you it will be worth it.
The law of chastity is the truth, people. That’s my witness and I’m sticking to it.
Thanks for reading,
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Alex is a blogger, writer and poet. In addition to this blog he also writes a poem a day on his other site. Click here to see some of his poems (and get a free ebook of some of his work!)